Thursday, August 9, 2012

Saintly Thoughts to Ponder

Well I have spent the last 2 weeks engaged in home school websites and catalogs - I'm sure many of you can relate! I almost have our upcoming school year all figured out, and when I do I will be sure to reveal my plans to you!
In the meantime I wanted to post these two quotes that I read in my favorite book A Year with the Saints .  If you feel that I may be directing this to someone in particular, you would be right.  The person in question, however, would be me! Maybe if I put it here in writing, I will remember it better.

"Endeavor not to appear singular, but to be so.  This is done by leading, in all respects, the common life, doing all things that are enjoined, but with exactness in the time, place, and manner prescribed.   We must do common things not in a common matter, but in a manner more sublime and perfect than that in which they are commonly done.  This is to appear externally like all the rest and to be interiorly singular, which is a greater virtue and a treasure of merit."

-St. Bernard

St, Bernard of Clairvoux
Feast day Aug. 20



"Be not of those who think perfection consists in undertaking many things, but of those who place it in doing well what little they do.  For it is much better to do little and do it well, than to undertake much and do it ill.  Yes little and good , this is the best.  Therefore, if we wish to advance, or when we wish to give some special honor to Our Lord, we have to redouble not our exercises, but the perfection with which we perform them.

-St. Francis de Sales


St. Francis de Sales
Feast day Jan. 24



Excellent thoughts while planning our school year!

2 comments:

  1. What great quotes. They sort of explain life as well as how to live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for school. We need to chat sometime soon:)

    ReplyDelete