Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2nd News Year's Resolution - Frugality in the kitchen

My second resolution for this year is to be more frugal in the kitchen. This includes baking more, and trying to be prepared ahead of time for quick meals. It seems that we spend a lot of money on ordering meals when things don't go as planned and dinner doesn't get done. I think if there are some things in the freezer this will be minimized.

I'm sorry - this is so monochromatic!!

Tuesday is going to be the designated cooking day this year (hopefully) so today I made homemade chicken nuggets and muffins. Those indistinguishable unappetizing looking things there are cooked pinto beans. I am resolved to get away from canned items, but beans and tomatoes in particular. A few years ago everyone made a big to-do about getting BPA out of baby bottles and toddler cups, but did you know that it's in all of your canned goods? It is especially bad  to have canned items that are acidic , because the acidity draws out the BPA into the food - yumm! I know beans aren't acidic but they are much cheaper dried, so these two reasons are why I decided to start with beans and tomatoes.  Later in the week, some of these beans will be transformed to refried beans.
I have to admit that getting this cooking done in addition to the regular days cooking and doing school was a bit of a challenge, but hopefully it will get easier when I get a rhythm down. Next week I plan on making chicken stock and gluten-free tortillas.....wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment