Saturday, November 5, 2011

Recipes for a Peaceful Tummy




The last several weeks for me have been very hard on the stomach. I am one of those pregnant women who can't be pleased. If I'm not nauseous I'm miserable because I think something is wrong, and if I am nauseous I'm miserable because - well I"m nauseous. Its not easy for me to spend hours and days sitting around feeling that any moment my stomach is going to defy gravity. It's especially hard with a house full of little ones who think helping Mommy clean means shoving everything in a corner. To say that finding something that I want and can eat has been a challenge would be somewhat of an understatement. I think its hard for most pregnant women who suffer morning sickness to find something they want to eat, then add allergies to eggs, wheat, dairy, oats, and shellfish; and your chances of finding something that taste good  are about the same as the President deciding to pop over for dinner to discuss foreign policy.
 One thing I realized  was that I feel a lot better not eating meat.  It's just not digesting well. If you combine not eating meat with my allergies you end up with a vegan diet. So, I looked online and found this cookbook,
The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion . Now I would just like to say that I didn't  actually notice that it said for entertaining until I finished flipping through the book. Yes, very non-observant.  Hey, I was busy trying to decide if I could eat what she was cooking  - although I did think there were a lot of recipes for  different events in the book - oh well, we all have our moments. Anyway everything looks really good in here and I can't wait to try so many of these recipes.  We had a version of her veggie paninis for lunch today and it was quite tasty. For dinner we had harvest stuffed acorn squash. I liked it, although next time I think I'll cut back on the spice some. Maybe you won't feel the need to if you're not pregnant. Anyway, if the squash sounds interesting you can watch her make it here.  If you scroll through the menu on the side, you'll see her recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies, eggless egg salad, three bean chili, and magic chocolate cake. So if you're suffering from allergies or just looking for a meatless meal, check out these recipes.

P.S.
I was going to take pictures of the food I made, but I got too hungry to take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment