Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Filling


Since Thanksgiving is fast approaching, I decided it was time to think about what we are going to eat! I have no idea about the food yet, but I do know I want to make pumpkin pie!  I thought I would share the recipe for the filling, in case someone else out there has allergies and was wondering how they would enjoy this holiday favorite.  The recipe is from the book Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal

Pumpkin Pie Filling

2 cups pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup sucanat or brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups chilled rice milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 (0.3ounce) packet gelatin
 (if you really want it to be vegan don't get regular gelatin!)

To make the filling:
Combine the pumpkin, canola oil, Sugar, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 cups of the rice milk in a heavy saucepan, whisking well. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then decrease to medium-low. Cook five minutes while stirring.

Next whisk the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the rice milk. Pour into the pumpkin mixture and cook about 2 more minutes. Whisk to smooth out any lumps, then remove from heat and set aside.
Whisk the gelatin into the remaining 2 cups of rice milk. Pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a full boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
Working quickly, pour the gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture, stirring well to combine thoroughly, then pour into a precooked pie shell. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

I haven't made it yet, so I can't tell you if its any good, although I do know that I have loved everything I have made from this book. If someone makes it, please write and let me know how it turned out and  I'll let you know how mine goes. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment